Joshua Finkelstein | Perth, Western Australia Australia | 12/25/2001
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Now before you go getting any ideas, this CD does not include the original version of "Emotion". But the other tracks make up for it. The cover, by the way, is the same as the normal cover but with a grey background versus the normal orange...
1. Emotion (Maurice's NuSoul Mix Edit) (4:00) - this remix holds no surprises as it is a typical Maurice Joshua remix. A club remix with a large dose of soul. This is a really great remix with rerecorded vocals including, what I consider, one of Beyonce's best ad libs ever. About three minutes into the song she sings "look at me, I can't stop crying, nobody left to..." and, I can't explain it other than saying she sings it really well.
2. 8 Days Of Christmas (Album Version) (3:29) - if you're buying the single for this track, their Christmas album "8 Days of Christmas" is a much better pick. But, if not, it's still a good bonus if you don't already have it. They combine the lyrics of the traditional "8 Days Of Christmas", mix it with a new b-setion & chorus and the DC flavour and turn out their best Christmas track.
3. Emotion (The Neptunes Remix) (4:15) - rerecorded yet again, this is one of DCs 'hip-hop' remixes like the Rockwilder Remix of 'Bootylicious' & Trackmasters version of 'Bills Bills Bills'. But, unfortunately, it doesn't include the normal rap included on such remixes. Still, their new vocals and The Neptunes' reworking of it makes it the best version of "Emotion", better than the original if you like these sort of remixes.
4. Emotion (Errol McCalla Remix) (3:58) - Another 'hip-hop' flavoured remix although not nearly as good as track 3. Using the original vocals, McCalla has editted out all of the vocals DC did together in the verses. In other words, apart from the chorus, the girls are only heard singing individually. This is original and sets the remix apat from the ret but leaves it feeling blank and unfinished. A good remix, still, nothing special.
5. Emotion (Calderone AM: Mix) (10:13) - it seems that DC has chosen Calderone numerous times to remix their songs and each time he has let them down. They would have been much better sticking with Digital Black -N- Groove for their non-Maurice Joshua club mixes. Still, Calderone proves he can do better on this remix which is by far better than his versions of 'Survivor' & 'Independent Women Part I'. While, the 1st verse doesn't start until 4 1/2 minutes into this track, he does a good job and ends with a kicking club mix."