Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: How should "playable" be defined? Question about received disc

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
elizabethplaid (Elizabeth P.)

Subject: How should "playable" be defined? Question about received disc
Date Posted: 12/11/2010 11:37 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just got a cd that had errors when I put it into my laptop. My music program (Windows Media Player) could read the track list, but it could not play the disc nor rip (saving a copy, so I don't always need the disc) the songs to my computer. However, when I put the disc into a portable cd player, it seems to play fine and sound great. Thus, should I mark the cd as received in "playable" condition even though it wouldn't work on my computer?

This particular disc was requested so I could have the songs on my computer and make mixed playlists with other songs I have. The disc isn't scratched or smudged, so I figure it might just be an old copy, possibly before cds were made to be read by computers and such (I have no idea; I'm just guessing!). I know I can still put the disc to use, but I still need to get digital copies of the songs for my computer... so I might as well have purchased the cd instead of swapping for it.

Any suggestions or advice? My gut tells me to mark it as fine and send a note to the system and sender, then buy the digital copy.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 12/12/2010 6:01 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You're definitely in a grey area there.  Let your conscience be your guide.

You can get the songs onto your PC if you can play the disc on an external CD player with the line outputs connected to the inputs to your computer's sound card.

Last Edited on: 12/16/10 8:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Lenny (Lenny S.)

Subject: CD won't play in computer
Date Posted: 12/15/2010 11:39 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've had this happen - I've managed to clean the CD and improve its playability in the computer.

I use Radio Shack DVD/CD Skip Fixer - fixes scratches as well as subtler problems,

It doesn't always work but it's worth a shot.

Lenny