Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Would you cancel the request for the CD? (unique situation)

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
deutschrock (Angelika T.)

Subject: Would you cancel the request for the CD? (unique situation)
Date Posted: 10/25/2010 11:48 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have a unique situation on hand.  I have sent a fairly rare CD set to a fellow swap-a-cd member and it seems to be on its way of getting lost.

I mailed it on 10/12/10 together with other CDs to other parts of the country.  All other CDs made it safe and sound and fast.  I have contacted the requestor of the 'about to get lost' CD if he received it and I have not received an answer to my PM.

I just posted another rare CD and guess what (my luck!) it is requested by the very person who has not marked my other CD as received, nor answered  my PM.

I really am not sure it I am sending CDs to an inactive account or if the person is on vacation or something. But in either case it looks as if I am already out one credit for a really nice 2-CD set  and I don't want to chance sending another CD to this person.  It would be like throwing good money after bad, or good credits after lost ones.

Can I just cancel the request and put in as a reason: 'will not send to requestor, because one of my shipments to him is in limbo already'

Any advice is appreciated, I am really tempted to cancel the request.

Thank you!

Last Edited on: 10/25/10 12:34 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 10/25/2010 3:50 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Angelika -- remember that a "lost" CD means your credits are refunded to you automatically.  I think that's one difference between here and the other sites, at least PBS, I believe.

The person might be on vacation...or hasn't checked their email...or any number of things.  Anyhow, I say let the system work its way through to the date listed, and if the date passes, check your credit registry and you'll see the credits have been returned to you. And if the person reappears and marks it "received", no harm done, either way.   Happy trades....

Date Posted: 10/25/2010 4:01 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks Iceberry for answering my question.

My concern is that if I send two shipments to a dead or sleeping account, then two requests will be marked 'lost in the mail' and that might count against me. I might show up as an unreliable sender.

Is there any way to find out if the person has a vacation hold on on their account?  I know I can do that in PBS.

I would feel a lot better knowing that the requestor is on vacation, before I send out another CD to the 'Black Hole'.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 10/25/2010 6:51 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

This is just me, going by experience (if you REALLY want to know, you might like to check the Help Center) but when a person goes on vacation, they have the option of using "Vacation Hold" so that this won't happen.   You can see if the person is on vacation.  I believe it shows up if you click on their name and try to go to their tower.

If they have put their account on Vacation Hold, you won't have a deal hung up in limbo or anything -- the person won't show up as a trader for the duration of their "vacation" (and that is why you have to be careful to take Vacation Hold off again, when you get back!).   Of course, people might not realize that they probably should do that, and some just might never give it a thought at all.  If they HAVEN'T done it -- all that happens (I think) is that their 48-hours-to-decide runs out and the request moves to the next person.  Someone can correct me...  Thing is, in THIS case -- if the person has gone on vacation while your disc was on its way to their house -- not much you can do until either they get back and click it "received" or the "lost" date comes. Either way, you won't lose anything.

Nothing will "count against" you, as long as you're acting in good faith -- following the packing guidelines, sending on time, clicking when you receive a disc, etc.  It's not that kind of site.  Problems like disc-loss or damaged-in-transit are really pretty much no-fault -- perhaps a benefit of the small fee for trading per disc.

The site is really pretty automated (or it looks that way from the user end --!).   Again, this is a sort of difficult time with the changes to the database, but nothing you're asking about should probably be affected by those changes.  Try not to worry about the black hole thing -- if you pack your discs nicely, you're doing your part, and the P.O. has to do the rest.  Good luck!

Oh -- one other thing...if YOU cancel your trade (someone help me out here) -- you may have a tough time listing it again without running into that same name, because your cancellation will start a "top of the wish list" for that person wanting the title, and if you go to relist it, there they'll be, waiting for ya.  Another reason to just let the system work its way to the date when your credits will be refunded.  Hope this helps...

Last Edited on: 10/25/10 7:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2

Date Posted: 10/26/2010 8:26 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks Iceberry,

I have until the 29th to send out the second request, so I will give the requestor more time to log in my first shipment.

After that I don't know what I will do, if I will send it, or just cancel the request and take the CD off the market for a while before reposting it.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 10/26/2010 8:45 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

icberry, I admire your optimism and willingness to think the best of other people.  My own opinion is that the other trader is probably a deadbeat.  Who goes for two weeks without checking their e-mail these days?  Seriously.

I do agree with icberry's advice:

"Oh -- one other thing...if YOU cancel your trade (someone help me out here) -- you may have a tough time listing it again without running into that same name, because your cancellation will start a "top of the wish list" for that person wanting the title, and if you go to relist it, there they'll be, waiting for ya.  Another reason to just let the system work its way to the date when your credits will be refunded.  Hope this helps..."

I would send another e-mail informing the receiver that I'm hesitant to send him another disc when he has not acknowledged the first one, and that I would wait to ship until he has answered my e-mail or confirmed receipt of the first disc set.

Date Posted: 10/26/2010 12:18 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks Daniel,

Actually that is just what I did. I sent the requestor an e-mail informing him that unless I either get a receipt and credit or an e-mail explaining what the delay is I will cancel the request by Friday.  I know that life gets in the way sometimes and when I get any indication that the account is active and not dormant or dead, then I will repost and send.

Thank you to both Daniel and Iceberry for sharing your thoughts.  I was really conflicted, since I do like to send out them CDs so that I can get more credits!!

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 10/26/2010 7:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I was just thinking -- I am waiting on a CD in-transit, too.  It's taking ages, but it's still within the allotted time frame given by the site.   I haven't marked it received, of course -- just twiddling my thumbs and waiting....

The only difference between your trader, and me right now is, well,  I'd certainly answer a PM.  It just kind of occurred to me, though, that the person on the other end might be feeling like you: "why doesn't she mark my CD received??!" 

People waiting on CDs might feel the same way, in reverse: "jeez, why is my CD taking so long??? Did this person flake???"   

Things do go astray..and they get found too, and marked received a long time after.  I've sent/received about 950 discs each direction, and so far, I've never had someone out and out "flake" but I've seen a few go missing....

FWIW. Hope this one works out in the end!

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 10/27/2010 7:46 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I must admit it does happen that stuff goes astray in the postal system.  I once sent a birthday card to my nephew that took three months to arrive.

And there's this recent extreme example:  http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978635630

Last Edited on: 10/27/10 7:47 AM ET - Total times edited: 1

Date Posted: 10/27/2010 8:24 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Good morning!  And yes normally I would not worry about it and just let it run its course, I know that sometimes shipments get lost in the mail.

I am only concerned because a second request came in from exactly the same person and she/he does not answer my PM.  Just a short : 'No I am still waiting', or' I am not at home to check my mail' would do for me.  I just want to make sure the person is still trading.

Barbie (Barbie P.)

Date Posted: 10/28/2010 10:14 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

there is nothing wrong with keeping a personal list of people who always receive broken discs, or discs that get lost.

i figure it is there post office that can not handle the discs.