Discussion Forums - Alternative Rock

Topic: Help a punk find new music

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Subject: Help a punk find new music
Date Posted: 4/11/2007 12:20 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I like old school or crusty punk and some hardcore. Some of my favorite bands are Dead Kennedys, D.R.I, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Circle Jerks, The Exploited.

For punk pop I like Rancid, Green Day and The Descendents.

I don't like the newer punk pop bands like Fall Out Boy.

Depending on my mood I will listen to other stuff like Rage Against The Machine, She Wants Revenge, Cake, KMFDM, or Ministry.

Any ideas?
FolkRockFan (Sarah B.)

Date Posted: 4/15/2007 9:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Ever heard Propagandhi? I actually have two of their CDs on my tower - and a two-for-one going :)
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 4/24/2007 4:34 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
The Punk-O-Rama comps might be a good idea. They're typically 20+ tracks.

I'd avoid the Tooth & Nail comps as they are more pop-ish than I imagine you'd like to go.
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 4/24/2007 4:44 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Also I like:

One-21 - Old school punk, broke up in 2005 but their cds are available for $1.99 each at Facedownrecords.com.
Stretch Arm Strong - Punk influenced hardcore. More recent stuff is getting pretty poppy but Rituals of Life is definitly a great album.
Andrea C.

Date Posted: 6/12/2007 1:51 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Give Operation Ivy a listen
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 6/20/2007 2:20 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I like Lifetime too.
rockingwriter (Kim J.)

Date Posted: 6/26/2007 11:20 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
try the Clash, Metallica, Ozzy, the Clutch, Bullet for my valentine . . . or even breaking benjamin or three days grace, they have some good stuff, too. And oasis.
borddurasoir (Mark P.)

Date Posted: 7/11/2007 12:02 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I second the Operation Ivy (Energy) recommendation. Also, The Clash (London Calling), in my opinion, have produced much better songs and albums than either The Ramones or The Sex Pistols.

The Vandals (Hitler Bad, Vandals Good) and NOFX (So Long and Thanks For All The Shoes; Punk In Drublic; White Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean) are pretty fun.

Two of my favorite albums from high school (7 to 10 years ago) were Catch Twenty-Two 's Kaesby Nights and The Hippos' Forget The World. (I also really liked Bink182's Dude Ranch, but hated their follow-up, Enema of The State.)

As far as what I've got in my list that you might like:

The Vandals - Peace Through Vandalism

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview

VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Date Posted: 7/11/2007 7:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I want Operation Ivy's Energy, but I can't find it anywhere for a decent price. Even used it's like $30. So not punk. Got it. It was re-released in November at a normal price. :)

I have always liked The Clash.

Just ordered Bullet For My Valentine's Poison. Someone else mentioned them , so I figure I will give them a try.

Punkmusic.com has a radio broadcast that I've been listening to. Most of it is a bit too pop and happy for me to get into it. That's not exactly true, I just bought the new They Might Be Giants, they are happy. I don't know, I just have weird taste, I guess.

Last Edited on: 12/14/07 11:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 5
alldatndensum (Chris D.)

Date Posted: 7/16/2007 10:07 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Not sure if you'd like Christian punk, but I'd recommend One Bad Pig to you. 

Joshua K.

Date Posted: 7/19/2007 9:45 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Good responses so far...

I dont' necessarily have these available, but check out:

Operation Ivy

NOFX (my personal favorite)

Propagandhi

Punk O Rama

Pennywise (love em)

Lagwagon

Me First and the Gimme Gimme's

I lived in SoCal during the era of Operation Ivy and knew a few guys who were in bands that played gigs with them (how lame was that props?).  Fungus Mungus and the Shrooms was a friends band, a ska band with hardcore socal punk influence.  Guttemouth was another friends bands (I think they made it on a small scale at least). I was asked to play horn for FM&TS but never ended up playing for them. 

alldatndensum (Chris D.)

Date Posted: 7/26/2007 11:23 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Another Christian band you might like would be Lust Control.

Destructa (Jax M.)

Date Posted: 8/3/2007 1:19 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you like Ministry, I'd try bands from Invisible Records: Evil Mothers, Ritalin, Meg Lee Chin, Test Dept, Sheep on Drugs...

I like The Stranglers, and I hear they were right there in the punk scene in the 70s, so you would want to seek early albums.

Nightshadeisis (Christina S.)

Date Posted: 8/9/2007 4:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I completely agree on Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace.  "So Cold"  and "Pain" are two of their songs that I"m stuck on right now, constantly putting on repeat.

These boys here are pretty much labeled in the Rock/Alternative Rock genre, and they're blasted GOOD.  Soft U2/Coldpay style grooves, as well as some hard crashing anthemic vibes.  They're worth the listen.  They're called Last Picture Show:

http://www.myspace.com/lastpictureshowuk  

Here's their official site:
www.last-picture-show.com

You can get their albums and single song downloads on the official site.  Definitely good stuff.  You can see their two album covers on the motion avi in my sig below. ;)

Last Edited on: 8/9/07 4:24 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Ben F.

Date Posted: 9/22/2007 4:13 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

try these two albums and you will love them first page hamiltons band "helmet" the cd called meantime.second"fu manchu" califorina crossing these two will get your mojo working.you also might like the band "prong" snap your fingers snap your neck or prove you wrong both good albums depending on your mood

Last Edited on: 12/15/07 9:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
mojo (Jason M.)

Subject: Japanese Punk Rock
Date Posted: 11/13/2007 4:30 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Try out Guitar Wolf...it's a band from Tokyo so think the Ramones in broken English...good stuff!

VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Date Posted: 11/21/2007 11:12 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Keep them coming!

Last Edited on: 12/14/07 11:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
JoeySkywalker (Joey S.)

Date Posted: 1/6/2008 7:04 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Well. If you like bizzare Russian punk theres Gogol Bordello

Last Edited on: 1/6/08 7:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
PJsails2 (PJ S.)

Subject: Crusty Punk
Date Posted: 1/19/2008 12:19 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

VeganFreak (Leah)

I've got Ramones - Loco Live and Violent Fems - Add it Up, in my tower as well as a copy of th Sex Pistols - Better live than dead that doesn't match the search criteria.

I'm leaving for a Mission Trip to Guatemala on Monday but if you answer asap, I could get them sent before I go.

BTW - do you know a red-haired beauty in MI who goes by the name of Angy? I swear I'll fall off my chair if you do.

---PJ

joeyanna (Joanna W.)

Date Posted: 2/4/2008 1:32 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

7 Seconds

Fugazi

ummmmm....

Rollins Band

Guy C.

Subject: New York Dolls and more
Date Posted: 6/4/2008 11:23 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Did I miss any references to the Dolls?  Absolutely essential.  Check out the Stooges and the MC5, too.  The Damned had some good stuff.  Never cared much for the Dead Boys, but lots think they're great.  Stiv Bators solo works more for me.  Johnny Thunders'  Heartbreakers were great too.  I can add more another time.  2 great sources are www.allmusic.com and www.emusic.com.  Both have good cross referencing and similar artist recommendations.  I think you can browse emusic without having a subscription.

Bugsyboy (Mike M.)

Subject: Punk with humor
Date Posted: 7/8/2008 9:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Have you ever heard of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes? Very different take on different styles of music (country, pop, etc.) done with a punk sound.

Bugsyboy

VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Date Posted: 7/29/2008 1:01 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Thanks peeps. Now I'm going through a weird cross genres phase. I'm into stuff like The Horrorpops, The Kills, The Devil Makes Three. A really eclectic mix of stuff that all has a punk-ish edge.
themadplatter (Steven K.)

Date Posted: 4/24/2009 4:39 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Try out some Irish punk - The Pogues, Flogging Molly, (my favorite) Dropkick Murphys - Oi!

RandyJ (Randall J.)

Date Posted: 4/30/2009 11:24 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If you like She Wants Revenge, give Joy Division a try... you might also like Mission of Burma and earlier Gang of Four

Page: