Discussion Forums - CD Bazaar

Topic: Closed for now...Love surprises..? Mystery-packs are back! Your choice of

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
icberry (IC B.)

Subject: Closed for now...Love surprises..? Mystery-packs are back! Your choice of
Date Posted: 6/26/2010 8:07 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Closing up shop on this one for now.. Thanks, everyone!

It's time once again..

..for Mystery-pods of Wonder !

Every so often, I like to make up "surprise packages" of interesting CDs meant to pique your curiosity, please your ears, and disturb your mailman.

(If you've received one of these before, you know that I am a reformed mail-artist who likes to put packages into the mail that, while technically LEGAL to send, are usually a little bit less than..strictly normal.)

I've put together a series this time, of 7 magic-7 mystery packs.  I can't tell you what you'll find inside, but I can tell you this:

Mystery Pack #1: "The Luxury of Love"

Seven CDs chosen to represent traditionally "beautiful" music. Here you will find gentle, tuneful, original music from solo piano to gentle jazz. Every disc has all art. and I'll throw in a CD single by a world-renowned artist commemorating someone else nearly as famous.

THIS ONE'S TAKEN:  Mystery-pack #2. "Temple of Sound"

Seven CDs that span the Globe.  This set includes several cultures-worth of music from around the globe: Qawwali sounds, Chinese pop, Indian jazz and one that lists the following instruments next to just one musician's name: Marimba, Piano, Djembe, Tabla, Conga, Bass, Tibetan Horn, Horn, Percussion, Sitar, Cello, Guitar (Acoustic), Udu, Drums (Steel), Drums, Dumbek, Bullroar, Vibraphone. All come with all art.

THIS ONE'S TAKEN: Mystery-pack #3. "Claire de Lune"

Seven CDs. This mystery-pack contains works set in a classical setting, but mostly scaled down to a kinder, more human size, and eminently listenable.  Included here are solo works for harp, an exploration of sweet melodic themes by a world class master of the flute, some early polyphonic music and a serious solo piano recording by someone you'd never suspect!  One disc is missing back art -- I'm including a little something extra with this pack. 

Mystery-pack #4. "Swingtime Vibe"

Seven CDs. For the jazz lover: a real cross-section from late-night sax to Brass-bound Swing, Vibraphone mastery and Latin energia.    All but one in this pack has all art.

Mystery-pack #5. "Curtain Raisers"

Seven CDs. This one is all about the movies.  No mere collection of soundtracks, this pack really glories in the music of film!  Discs include a career compilation from a famed composer known for her innovative film scores, a classically-trained musician having the time of his life with his favorite film songs, a quirky indie-film score that includes a track called, "Open on Helicopters (sound effect) and just a few Grammy winners.

THIS ONE'S TAKEN: Mystery-pack #6. "Amarillo Shuffle"

Seven CDs. This pack has everything but the hat and boots: it's a Country-bear jamboree that includes a few tracks with the words, "Texas", "Devil", "Longneck", "Jesus" "Swamp", "America" and "Bar" in the titles.  You get fiddle-music, a double-live CD set, one Grammy Winner, and a band where every guy but one brought his hat to the album cover photo shoot.

Mystery-pack #7 "Raindance"

Seven CDs. Take a deep breath and relax: this one is all about unwinding.  Here you get everything you need for a calm end to a hectic day: two discs include the sound of water; one will lull you to sleep, one features a singer famous for his sexy purr, and one will spirit you away to an exotic location for a new age concert in the open air. 

Each pack is a mere two credits.

So sniff, rattle, and pick at the wrapping as much as you want..then make your choice. Let me know which one you want, via PM.  Post a note here, so we know which packs are taken, buddy me the credits-- then sit back and look innocent when the mailman comes up the drive.  You're gonna love getting these way-fun grab bags.  Have fun!

Last Edited on: 7/1/10 12:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 11
tatatita (GL G.)

Date Posted: 6/26/2010 11:59 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Count me in...you know I can't resist your hard sell!..and you're sweet talking ways.

#2 please...

Cheers!

ps...my guess on the mystery artist?...Elton John for Lady Di?

Sherry (Sherry C.)

Date Posted: 6/27/2010 6:21 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm not going to pass this up - please send Mystery-pack #6. "Amarillo Shuffle"

I'll buddy the credits now - and thanks!

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 6/27/2010 7:07 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

GL, Sherry -- thank you!  They're set aside for you.

Boberty (Robert P.)

Subject: ooh, a mystery!
Date Posted: 6/28/2010 1:54 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi IC,

If its still available, I'd like to check out the Claire de Lune bag. You never disappoint!

Thanks,

Robert