Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: digipak case with cd tray ripped out of it - what the heck!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
bossajake (Patrick J.)

Subject: digipak case with cd tray ripped out of it - what the heck!
Date Posted: 4/9/2009 4:31 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

i received a cd from a member recently who actually ripped the plastic cd tray out of a digipak cardboard jewel case in order to save a few cents on postage - i have never seen this done before  - ever and these cases were designed decades ago.  he then insisted that this is how the site instructed him to send digipak style cds - and he does this all the time.  i don't know what fantasy land he lives in but i can't imagine anyone being happy about receiving a digipak cd with the disc falling out of it because the plastic cd was torn from inside it, he even managed to tear up the inside of the case in the process.  most ridiculous thing i've see yet.  if he's too cheap to send the complete digipak he should post his cds as disc only.

stunned in toledo,   patrick   bossajake

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 4/9/2009 6:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Jeez, Patrick.   I think what we're dealing with is a different mindset entirely about "trading".  That's terrible!  If you are trading for a perfectly good CD and art, then isn't that what you'd provide?

On the other hand -- is he actually correct?  Is that what the site says about digipaks?  If so, where?!  I don't think those instructions would find many supporters....

What you have here, is a legitimate "Question" about SwapaCD.  "What's the right way to send a digipak and should you be prepared to pay the extra postage?"  Maybe a note to the team?

tompee (Tompee Z.)

Date Posted: 4/9/2009 10:35 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

i don't think it says anywhere on sacd to do so. however, i have done this before. i've posted digipack cds that have all the teeth broken, so i CAREFULLY take it off the pack (yes, there is a way. you just need to peel it slowly and gently and it will come off). but i always listed these as disc only, so no complaints from the requestor.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 4/9/2009 11:52 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Well, I just did a Google search of the help center for any occurrence of the word "digipak"and all it showed me was one hit in the "glossary" wherein it helpfully provides the following description for the term [Digipak], which means -- digipak.

Hm. I never knew that that [*] means, "most current CD this artist has released".

http://www.swapacd.com/help/help_item.php?id=217
BrianF (Brian F.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2009 3:51 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Wow, that's a new one. I was just fuming again today at yet another back insert that came folded up. That's 3 folded inserts in the last month! This is after the people that STILL send discs in the SACD wrapper (printer paper) with nothing else to protect it. As sick as I am of getting broken/cracked discs and folded inserts, not to mention the ones who tape the digipak's closed, your case takes the cake!!!

I'll have to add this to my list of WTF's, these include:

-Sticker(s) peeled off the jewel case and reaffixed to front of booklet [thanks, I really wanted that "includes the smash hit..." sticker stuck to my booklet]

-Discs with stickers or marker writing on them and not contacting me before sending [either side, go figure]

-Ripped up or folded booklets/inserts [people, if something is torn up, list it properly. A disc / front insert / torn to shreds back insert should be listed as "disc / front insert!!!]

-Cardboard digipak cases taped closed on three sides, as I like to call them "Peel & Pray" [peel slowly and pray it doesn't rip]

-Discs that were once used in a "frisbee golf" tournament, as a coaster, or as a dog's "chew toy" [or at least look like it]

-Digipak's with the tray ripped out [just added 4/2009!]

With exception to this last one, all of these have happened to me and many have happened several times! Tommorrow's a new day though, so i'll keep waiting for that new one that has me scratching my head. Maybe I'll get a "bag of rocks" instead of that Rolling Stones cd I requested...maybe a bubble-mailer that erupts into flames...ahhhh, the possibilities...

Last Edited on: 4/10/09 3:52 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2009 6:30 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

thanks brian - that was very funny, i feel better now.  usually it's ic that talks me down, she's so nice all the time but your sarcastic rant worked for me in this case - appreciate that :)

i really just had to rant a little myself to get it out of my system, it wasn't just that the guy ripped the plastic tray out of the digipak but his insistance in our back and forth pm's that this is how sacd suggests he send out his cds.  it was driving me crazy, i think he confused the instructions for regular jewel cases with digipak cases but still  - a little common sense please.  and after all that descruction his package was still too thick to qualify as letter mail because of the thickness of the leftover digipak cardboard - good grief.  i think tompee has it right, if you enjoy ripping plastic trays out of your digipaks then post them as disc only please - maybe the site staff could add that to the rule book somewhere  :)

i've received most of those you mentioned above also, i don't even bat an eye now when i get the folded back inserts, and it is obvious that it was just folded when they packaged it up as it's usually not even a straight crease - some sideways mash job like they were taking out the days frustrations on my little cd package.  i also spend some time taping back together the ends of the back inserts that were torn off at some point, their perforations make them somewhat vulnerable to this i guess.

if you haven't already done so please invest in a bottle of goo gone, it's only a $1 at the dollar store and is citrus based so pretty safe on most surfaces - a little goes a long way.  it works great on stickers on both plastic and on paper if it's not too absorbant.  it also will remove most sharpie marker marks on the front of discs - although sometimes the coloring on the disc can come off too if you use too much.

i don't have a WTF list but am sure i could start a new one each day - today i dropped off a batch of cds at the post office and after metering them the clerk tossed them in her box of parcels - the one's that weigh about 5 pounds each.  guess that explains the 3 broken discs i received so far this week :)  i asked her to put them with her non-machinable letter mail which she did but not after a 5 minute discussion on how the box of parcels was a perfectly good place for my cds - WTF!  :)

thanks to all for talkin' me down, i'm good to go again - happy tradin'   :)    patrick   bossajake

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2009 7:25 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have one tray left over from a digipak that I threw away (the music was so bad, I didn't want to pass it on to anyone).  Add a drop of hot glue on each of the four corners and you're good to go.  This tray is missing a tooth, but it still holds a disc just fine.  If you want it, send me a PM with your address and I'll send it along.

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2009 10:13 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Oh man, what is this, SwapaCD, The Dark Side??! I'm laughing -- WITH YOU... the Painful Laughter of Recognition...

(I hope no potential members happened onto this thread!)

Patrick, I have you down for one sarcastic rant in future, duly noted. ;^)
SwapaCDTeam (SwapaCD Team A.)
SwapaCD Team

Date Posted: 4/10/2009 12:53 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Just to clarify, we have never recommended tearing the plastic tray out of a Digipak as a recommended way to ship it. If the Digipak is damaged at all, it's best to post as 'Disc Only'. If you have it posted as 'Disc, Front and Back Inserts', the ENTIRE Digipak should be sent (which will up the cost of postage) and preferably without tape that may damage the cover. It appears this member was just not clear about what exactly a jewel case was.

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 4/10/2009 4:46 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

ok, i'm glad the sacd staff weighed in on this - now that i have official confirmation of the proper handling of digipak cases from "the men behind the curtain"  i can get some sleep tonight :~)   thanks!   patrick

by the way, as an aside, does everyone know that you can buy the center cd post button things at walmart?  they are self-stick.   they come in handy sometimes if you need to replace the center cd spindle on some oddball cardboard cases.  i think they were actually designed for scrapbookers so they could add cd discs to the pages of their scrapbooks. i'm going to try one in place of the plastic tray in the digipak and see how that works.

nice of daniel (a complete stranger) to offer to send me a replacement tray - thanks daniel but i'll work something out on my end

Ninest123 N.

Subject: edited by SwapaCD Team
Date Posted: 8/30/2017 1:58 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD Team

Dongdong8 D.

Date Posted: 10/19/2017 1:27 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD Team

Chenjinyan C.