Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: CD Skips - How much is too much?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
ABCatHome (Amanda S.)

Subject: CD Skips - How much is too much?
Date Posted: 2/9/2009 3:24 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I've only swapped a few CD's here, but the majority of them have been fine.  However, the one I rec'd over the weekend looks horrible on the underneath side and skips in a few places when played.  My question is, in general, how many skips are too many for it to be marked as damaged by sender?   I had one a few months ago that only skipped on 1 song (and it even was bad enough that it wouldn't even work when I ripped it to my iTunes), but I had marked it rec'd before knowing that, so just dealt with it.  No biggie.  However, this one is skipping in a couple of different songs...so, I'm wondering what the standard practice is?

TIA!

va-redsox (Darren C.)

Date Posted: 2/9/2009 3:54 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Honestly I feel that if it skips once then that's once too many. CD's being listed should be in good condition and completely playable, otherwise they are not in a tradable condition, but from experience I know that quite a few of our members don't always play by these rules.

I would make an attempt to clean up the disc to help remove the skips before marking as seller damaged but ultimately it is your decision.

myrke (Evan M.)

Date Posted: 2/10/2009 7:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I agree with Darren in that one skip is too many.  Some people go to extremes trying to revive a cd (toothpaste, sander, etc) but this site is run on good faith that people are swapping cds without hassle.

If you were worried that it might just be a hyper-sensitive cd player doing the skipping, I recommend downloading Exact Audio Copy and testing the tracks for skips.  If errors occur then no matter what cd player you use to spin the cd there will be skipping.  It's a judge and jury software that makes your decision easier.

Reno-ness (Steve S.)

Subject: ONE SKIP IS TOO MANY...
Date Posted: 2/11/2009 12:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

And I test them on my player that is very sensitive to that sort of thing!

Peace

and Love,

St.

VLR (Valerie R.)

Date Posted: 2/18/2009 8:18 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I think the CD should not skip at all.  However I do believe this is a gray area since some CD players are better than others.  It is possible for a CD to not skip on the sender's player but to skip on the receiver's CD player.  I have 2 CD players, some CDs will skip on one but not the other.  To be fair to the sender I test on my player that tends not to have skips.

scotso (Scott C.)

Date Posted: 2/22/2009 7:07 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
any skips is too many. We are talking cds here, not vinyl. Some players are more sensitive than others, but, a skipping disc should not be listed at all, its probably quite scratched also, which is another subject altogether: How scratched is too scratched.
Breninithaca (Bren H.)

Date Posted: 3/16/2009 11:25 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If it plays in my car without skipping, I will send it. The CD in my home stereo system will skip a disc that plays fine anywhere else and sometimes won't play a CD at all, so I'm not going to base my judgement on that one.

Last Edited on: 3/16/09 11:26 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 3/16/2009 1:58 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"My question is, in general, how many skips are too many for it to be marked as damaged by sender?"

1 skip is too many.

Allthatjazz (Ken D.)

Date Posted: 3/27/2009 10:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
My car player will cause CDs to skip, as it is overly sensitive to bumps (maybe I need new shocks!). But as far as I'm concerned, one skip is too many. Recently a number of discs have arrived with more scratches than I expect, so I have not confirmed receipt until I play them, which delays things for the sender. But I feel like it is harder after the fact to get an adjustment, though the folks who run this website have been very prompt to issue credit to me (once for a jewel box sent with no disc, another for being sent an earlier version of a CD that had four less tracks than described in swapacd.com's listing of it). Personally, if I wouldn't want the disc in its condition, I would not list it here.