Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Postage help - argument at post office

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2008 9:56 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Jen,

I heard that argument from the PO before.  "A CD cannot be a letter..."

If they try and give you more crap about it just ask them to show you specifically in their regulations where it says "a CD cannot be a letter."

Last Edited on: 2/11/08 9:57 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Kerensky97 (Dustin B.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2008 11:57 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Do many people here have the "Automated Postal Centers" at their POs?  It's basically a do it yourself stamp printing machine that's in the lobby and available 24 hours.  Stick the letter on the scale, punch the touchscreen a few times, it prints a stamp you stick on the letter then put it in the 24 hour drop box.

I just use the APC so there is no arguing with the clerk and no wait in line.  I always ship it as a rigid/non-bendable first class letter.  For a regular SACD envelope it's usually ~$.92 for a full jewel case it's ~$1.30.  All a small price to pay for the convienence, less hassle, and knowing that it will be 1st class without getting dumped into the CD killing machines.  And frankly I'm not going to worry too much about the extra $.17 I'm spending for that; I waste far more money than that just driving to the PO all the time and can recoup it by grouping all my SACD dropoffs into one or two days of the week (sorry, no ship within 2 days for me unless you request after Wednesday).

Although knowing what the computerized system charges now I may just buy a book of stamps to cut the gasoline costs out completely.

Sherry (Sherry C.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2008 1:28 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I guess I'll have to question the guy at the post office the next time I go there.  It's a small post office, so I usually deal with only the same 2 employees.  I enlosed my cd in a plastic case (small round lightweight case purchased at Staples), and put the cd and artwork in a folded over tyvek envelope.  It weighed in at 1.90 oz., and I was charged $1.30 (First-Class Parcel).  Looks like it should be cheaper if I asked for first class mail rate?  I'll have to ask next time.

sheryl (Sheryl D.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2008 6:13 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Sherry, it sounds like you are using a clamshell case, in which case you wouldn't be able to send at the non-machinable letter rate, because it would be too thick. I believe using any sort of case bumps you up to parcel rate - to get the cheaper letter rate, you have to use cardboard only to reinforce your package.

On a related note, it looks like the new postal rates going in to effect in May will raise the non-machinable letter rate a tiny bit:

Non-machinable letters - May 08 rates

1 oz - $0.62

2 oz - $0.79

3 oz - $0.96

3.5 oz - $1.13

scrappingsteph (Stephanie M.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2008 9:23 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

i always use the APO, because i got tired of dealing with PO employes who dont know what they're talking about. all the cds i send go for $.75 or $.92 a lot of times i just stick 2 stamps on it and stick it in the blue box thingys

iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2008 8:56 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"On a related note, it looks like the new postal rates going in to effect in May will raise the non-machinable letter rate a tiny bit:"

I was thinking about it the other day, wow, another rate increase; it was just 1 year ago that they had the last one.  Then it popped into my head, by creating the “Forever Stamp” they just made it incredibly simple and painless to raise their rates annually.  Before there was always a big issue with requiring everyone using old stamps to buy like $.01-$.04 stamps but not anymore. 

They can raise rates without any headaches on their part.  Genius, if you ask me.

Monday12 M.

Subject: edited by SwapaCD Team
Date Posted: 1/2/2018 10:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD Team

Page: