Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Where do you buy your CDs?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
markg731 (Mark G.)

Subject: Where do you buy your CDs?
Date Posted: 7/10/2018 8:18 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Just taking an informal poll. I'm curious about where people get most of the CDs they post. Do you still buy NEW CDs at stores or online? The list of places to get new CDs is dwindling (Best Buy recently stopped celling CDs in their retail stores). What about used CDs? What does your used record store charge, on average, for CDs? I know it can vary greatly, just wondering what you are willing to pay? What about thrift stores or garage/tag sales?

For me, I can't tell you the last time I paid full price for a new CD; it's been years. I'm not talking paying for a digital album, but a physical disc. Most of the CDs I post are either trades from here or used CDs I buy from various sources. Most of the thrift stores and garage sales in my area charge $1 per CD. Some only ask $0.50 becuase they can't get rid of them. My local library charges $0.50 when they have their book sales. These aren't library discards, but donated CDs they sell rather than add to their collection (no room for CDs in my library). With those low prices, I think twice about paying $3-$5 (or more) for a used CD at my local record store, unless it's something I've got to have or have been looking for for a while.

Happy Trading.

deutschrock (Angelika T.)

Date Posted: 7/11/2018 8:42 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Amazon, but those I don't trade.  I buy them on Amazon because I don't get them here and they remain in my collection.

Goodwill sometimes.  There are some I found at Goodwill in new condition and I pick them up and mostly trade them here as unpostables (usually the UPC is not in the database).

scotso (Scott C.)

Date Posted: 7/12/2018 4:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Amazon, but most cds i buy, i have intentions of keeping.  I have bought boxes at garage sales, for here.  

EllisDee (Jeff M.)

Date Posted: 7/13/2018 4:31 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?currency=USD&ships_from=United+States&format=CD

Last Edited on: 7/13/18 4:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
4wallz (Seth D.)

Date Posted: 7/18/2018 7:11 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have a local record store that still sells Cds.  He sells them about $6 - $10 for used cds.  I did buy one off amazon the other day too.  But I don't buy too many new ones any more.  Can usually get them used.  Hard to find ones though like special editions of cds I go order from the local record store.  

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 8/16/2018 4:02 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Local rummage sales.

Any multi-disc sets are likely to end up here because they are cheaper per credit to ship.

SInce my work became more intense I haven't been able to pop CDs in and listen to them (with the attention needed to decie how much I like them, rather than just background music) so I've had to scale back. I have a large stack to get through to decide if I like enough to keep or not.

bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 8/18/2018 7:40 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I live in a small town in southwest Georgia. We used to have a shop that specialized in the buying and selling of used CDs but they went out of business a few years ago. We don't have a Goodwill but we do have a Salvation Army Thrift store and they sell donated CDs, new and used for ninety-nine cents each, Every so often they will have a sale and mark them down to fifty-nine cents each. That's where I buy most of the CDs that I purchase and I buy ones I want for my collection and often buy interesting ones I think someone might want on SwapaCD. I have also been known to buy a new or used CD on eBay if it is one that I really want for my collection. 

Dirtypickle (David T.)

Date Posted: 9/8/2018 11:16 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have lots of over stock discs, like a title that is good but has 10+ copies listed here.   I. Usually let 100 discs go for $35 locally.   No picking through them.  They just buy random box.   Usually people that flip them at peddler malls in their booths for $1.00 each

Last Edited on: 9/8/18 11:17 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Alex M.

Date Posted: 12/2/2018 11:09 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I buy mainly from Amazon and also from a few other specialty online stores - lasercd.com for prog metal. 

Dirtypickle (David T.)

Date Posted: 5/29/2019 4:55 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Local traders on here just visit me for all the discs i have listed plus  more not listed.  Only charge $1 each

Michelle D.

Date Posted: 2/19/2021 7:29 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Over half of mine and my father's collections are from either goodwill or Bullmoose, which is only in Maine and New Hampshire.They ship eerywhere though. WWW. Bullmoose.com. I also buy a couple on Ebay from time to time. A third of my collection is from Swapacd however! My maximum (Unless I absolutely need it!) buying price for a new CD is ten dollars. Fifteen for a two-disc set, twenty for three and so on, at five dollar increments.

Last Edited on: 2/21/21 4:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
DrScott (Scott K.)

Subject: I buy both new at full price and used at around 6-8 calms, and sacd.com fod
Date Posted: 2/19/2021 5:01 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I have a local record store Zia that is very well stocked with discs r all types and price ranges.  I routinely scour the dollar bins for things I can trade (I look up wishlisted items on the phone to try and make sure I won't get stuck with something - although sadly, that still happens).  Thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army and SAVERS all offer great deals on used discs and honestly I have come acorss everything from box sets, to remastered 2 CD editions to imports to MFSL discs at these stores.  I am going today to scope out some more thrift finds - latest great find - a remastered expanded edition of The Who's 'Who's Next' - 1.99.  You cannot beat that.  One persons trash is another man's treasure - I hope the whole world turns to streaming so I can buy up their CD collections for pennies on the dollar and then sell them when they hit $30 a disc like has happened with vinyl!

Michelle D.

Date Posted: 2/19/2021 5:07 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Ha,ha,ha! I like your thinking!

mpt68 (Wade K.)

Date Posted: 2/20/2021 3:21 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Estate sales are usually the best for dirt cheap discs. Occasionally garage sales will have something decent. Other than that it's keeping an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.