Discussion Forums - Jazz

Topic: Midnight Jazz

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Subject: Midnight Jazz
Date Posted: 8/20/2006 3:06 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
What would be a good example of midnight jazz? The author Kim Harrison mentions it in her bio and some of her characters listen to it, too. This is not my genre, but I would be interested in listening to it if I knew what was good.

Last Edited on: 8/28/06 4:15 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
conrad777 (CONRAD S.)

Date Posted: 4/7/2007 10:55 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Something quiet and peaceful. Thelonious Monk wrote a wonderful jazz tune "Round Midnight", so any CD with that song would be a candidate. Try Miles Davis's "Round about Midnight".
Mike C.

Subject: Here are some suggestions
Date Posted: 11/25/2008 10:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

On my list:

Various Artists :: The History of Jazz [Prism]

Abbey Lincoln & Stan Getz :: You Gotta Pay the Band

Lee Ritenour :: Stolen Moments

Lee Ritenour :: Wes Bound

David Sanborn :: Closer

Last Edited on: 11/25/08 10:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
shenvalleyswapper (Lewis K.)

Date Posted: 9/14/2009 8:13 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Verve (one of the big jazz labels) has a great series of samplers titled "Jazz 'Round Midnight".  Many unfortunately are out of print, but most of those can be picked up at Amazon for less than five dollars.  The series focuses on ballads, i.e. stuff on the slower and mellower side (though this is relative, and slow doesn't mean soporific).  Some collect performances by a single artist, others focus on a particular instrument (piano, saxophone, trumpet) or style (blues, big band, bossa nova).  They all have nearly an hour of music, & most of them are worth getting just for simple enjoyment, or as a starting-point to explore more music by a particular artist (both instrumentalists and singers are featured) or a musical style.

GregoryNipper (Gregory N.)

Date Posted: 3/20/2010 4:26 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

One of the first albums that come to mind, and which has a similar "late-night" ambience that I think is the reason a lot of people who don't usually listen to jazz really appreciate Miles's Kind of Blue, is this:

http://www.swapacd.com/cd/album/139800-idle+moments

Grant Green's Idle Moments.  It's an absolute classic.  On the title piece, it's languid and easy without being "lite."  The members of the group play like they're walking on eggshells, bringing a quiet intensity to the group sound and their solos.

A lot of stuff on the ECM label is perfect for deep night listening.  I don't think the label has a single "sound" the way some say, but it's good for about 3 am when I want something spare and moody rather than loud and swinging.

A few others that come to mind:

Mysterious Traveler by Weather Report

Undercurrent  by Bill Evans and Jim Hall

jimmer (Jimm L.)

Date Posted: 8/29/2010 10:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You cannot label jazz.  If you are awake at midnight, spin your radio dial.  You will hit some jazz and blues station.  Do this for several nights.  You will hear enough to break your bubble.  There are some streets you cannot name.  They will not always take you to the same place.  Stan Getz is not a mistake.  Dive from the high board.

AllMusicMan (Carl T.)

Subject: Midinight Jazz Sounds
Date Posted: 9/1/2011 7:37 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I would recommend Dexter Gordon's Ballads--always a great sound!