Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Does the UPC have to match? Do you even NEED a UPC? NO! but.....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
icberry (IC B.)

Subject: Does the UPC have to match? Do you even NEED a UPC? NO! but.....
Date Posted: 10/27/2016 10:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I always feel a little twinge when people want to trade a perfectly good CD with a non-database or NO UPC and think they're not supposed to. Then they end up lost in the trample of the Bazaar, falling lower and lower and lower on the page....

This is one situation that seems like it confuses good traders, who think they have to use a matched-up UPC to trade, or it's "unpostable".  

Not true!

You can trade any CD as long as artist, title and tracks match something in the database.  Don't miss out on people who are lined up WANTING your no-UPC disc! 

Not that we aren't glad to see Bazaar listings, but hey: think again about your perfectly good CD and that it just might be FINE to post the regular way!

Observe: 

What are the requirements for posting a CD?

Only the original CD is required for posting. artwork and the jewel case are not required. The CD must be playable and not visibly damaged. Burned CDs are NOT allowed.

To post your CD properly, you should be sure that the artist, title and tracklist match the CD listing you are using. It is very important that these three match exactly.

If, for example, you have a promotional CD that differs by a single song on the track listing, you MAY NOT post it as the slightly different version. If an exact match of an original CD is not found in our database, you may post it in the Bazaar.

When posting, I can not find my copy of the CD in the system.

When posting a CD, it is best if the UPC matches exactly. If you are unable to match by UPC then try to match the CD by Artist, Album Title, Label and Release Date. If you can not find a CD in the system that has your Label and Release Date then you may post it as another CD with matching Artist and Album Title as long as the Tracklist matchesPlease ensure that the matching CD has the same Tracklist as your CD.

If I could make this posting sticky, I would.  Happy trades, all!

Last Edited on: 10/27/16 10:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
MusikLover (VALERIE L.)

Date Posted: 10/27/2016 11:28 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

thank you,

I always thought disc only CD's were that way because there was no art and therefore no UPC.  Which makes me wonder what would make a CD Unpostable?  Any Cd can be posted Disc only.  Well okay,  the track listings have to match or its Unpostable.  

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 10/31/2016 4:11 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thank you ICB.  Great public service announcement. 

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 11/2/2016 12:28 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

HI Valerie --

This is my take -- step right up anyone who has a better way to explain...

You asked:

" I always thought disc only CD's were that way because there was no art and therefore no UPC.  Which makes me wonder what would make a CD Unpostable?  Any Cd can be posted Disc only.  Well okay,  the track listings have to match or its Unpostable."

Indeed any disc can be posted as long as the tracks match something in the database. I never thought about that: disc only discs wouldn't have a UPC, no -- unless you are good at reading the tiny numbers some discs have etched right around the hole in the middle. If you can match up the tracks, it can be listed, but if there's any question about whether your copy is a rare, limited pressing or something else super-special, better to err on the side of choosing the plain-vanilla listing.

The SwapaCD database is pretty large and diverse, but it really doesn't have everything.  That's when a disc has to be called "unpostable": when you just can't find a match of any kind, whether the item has all art, partial art or none. The database used here is connected with amazon's database, but (this is just my guess) it's only updated very intermittently, so sometimes it can be hard to say why such-and-such title just isn't listed here.  

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 2/5/2017 2:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

::bump::