Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Two questions about protocol here

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
DianeK (Diane K.)

Subject: Two questions about protocol here
Date Posted: 12/2/2015 9:03 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm an active member of PBS but have rarely swapped here, so I have a couple of questions.  I was given a bag of CDs by a neighbor who was moving, and most of them are not what I normally listen to so I thought I would trade them here.  In examining the discs, I do see that most of them have a few very light scratches, the kind that my own CDs have, and they play just fine.  I can't, however, play all of these CDs to make sure they're okay.  So my question is, do people normally swap CDs with minor scratches?  Or do I take the posting instructions very literally ("not visibly damaged") and only trade discs that look perfect?

My second question is about shipping--the reason I figured I could trade these is the low-cost shipping option.  I'm finding several 2-CD sets--am I correct in thinking I can't use the cheap shipping option if I'm sending 2 CDs?  Won't that make the package thicker than 1/4 inch?

Thanks!

Diane

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 12/2/2015 12:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Diane,  I recieve lightly scratched CDs all the time.

Shipping - where to begin.  This site has postage due issues, some post offices don't "get" that non-machinable can be a letter rate with a 20 cent surcharge.   Some post offices will count everything non-machinable as a parcel.  I would send a few test packages and see how your post office did.

Last time I sent 2 discs together (all artwork) - it was more than 2 ounces even without the case.   So you need to watch the weight on these (even if you are under the 1/4" rule).  For these I use PayPal postage - 3 oz. (free confirmation) and send CDs between 2 peices of corrugated cardboard....it's thick, but I'm paying first class.   

DianeK (Diane K.)

Date Posted: 12/2/2015 5:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thank you Tracy!  I did actually send out a couple of CDs as the non-machineable letter, and they went through okay, so (miraculously) my post office knew what they were doing.  I guess I could take 2 CDs with no inserts, wrap them and see if they're more than 1/4 inch--it seems like it would be.

I will try posting the CDs with the minor scratches, and of course, if anyone finds there's a problem with playing them I would refund the credit.

Thanks for your help!

Diane