Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Mailing Issues

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
tennisrep (Mitch E.)

Subject: Mailing Issues
Date Posted: 11/19/2015 11:29 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I know that this is just a re-generation of previous posts about postage and mailing issues, but I wanted to see if others are having the same problem and what, if anything they have done about it.  I recently mailed out over 20 cds at once, all single discs, no cases and all artwork.  I package all of my mailings the same with two pieces of cardboard and and both pages of the swapacd paper that prints out for the mailings.  Oh yeah I also use the pre-paid postage.  Anyway most of the mailings went thru but one customer got charged and extra $1.83 at the post office!!!!  How can all of those go thru but one gets charged extra?  Any thoughts?

The other issue is that I mailed all of those at once and then sent out another 10 or so a couple of weeks later.  Of the first batch all but three have been marked recieved.  What happened to those other three?  Ones that I sent in the second batch have been marked received and they were sent two weeks later??!!  Is it just a case of the receiving member not marking it received?  If so what happens when I get penalized for it being lost in the mail and lose my credit?  Seems like not a great system.  Thoughts?

Mitch

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 11/20/2015 2:49 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I weigh the benefits / risks when deciding: print system postage OR use regular postage.

System postage (the 55 cent transaction fee) is like credit insurance.  If I'm sending something wishlisted or there are no other copies in the system, then I will pay the additional 55 cents.  For CDs that go lost, I still get my credit.

The way I figure it, Wishlisted CDs may go to "wishers" that are no longer active in SWAP.  These are users who may no longer be at the same address even.

Regular postage is for common titles.  If something goes lost, then yes, I lose my credit.  But lost CDs should be a rarity.  Besides users have no incentive to mark a CD lost (when they actually received it).  The same CD will be mailed (automatically) from the next available in line.

People who order commons are active users.  They should have updated mailing addresses.

Re: postage due (Gggrrrrrr).  My post office gets the whole is it a non-machinable letter?....VERSUS every single non-machinable piece of mail = parcel rate.   But I know there isn't enough consistency.  I wish SWAP would just require a CD case, all mail would be handled the same (first class parcel).  The post office (and SWAP users) would be less confused.

So far - so good.  I don't have postage due issues when sending CDs out (fingers crossed).  I have the occasional issue when receiving CDs.  When a sender is obviously wrong (2 stamps on a CD w/case + bubble mailer) the CD gets marked "return to sender."   I know we are supposed to contact the sender and explain things, but the last time I did that, the sender was belligerent.

I also don't have lost mail issues very often.