Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Shock at the Post Office!!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
ilikeallmusic (David N.)

Subject: Shock at the Post Office!!
Date Posted: 7/19/2015 12:37 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Instead of the regular $1.24 that I normally pay to send a CD with artwork, no plastic case just a pc of cardboard they now inform me it will be $2.40 for 1st class and media mail is even more expensive.  It seems that they are saying the package is too rigid (Won't bend) and won't go thru there machines!!

Are others having the same problems?

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 7/21/2015 2:53 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

This has been an ongoing complaint with the post office for years.  Many of the clerks are not aware of the USPS rules on rigid letters (less than 1/4" thick).  To get around the clerks, use stamps and drop the package in a mailbox.

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 7/21/2015 5:20 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

David, the 21 cent surcharge is for non-machinable LETTERS.  The non-machinable characteristic here is "rigid."  Your post office wants to treat every single piece of rigid mail as a parcel, no matter the size, no matter the weight.

This is an older thread (so the rates mentioned are not current):  http://www.swapacd.com/forum/topic.php?t=9153

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 8/10/2015 11:05 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

My post office does indeed, want to treat every piece of rigid mail as a parcel.

I just got done arguing with 2 different clerks from 2 different USPS locations.  

ilikeallmusic (David N.)

Date Posted: 8/11/2015 8:19 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

A friend of mine who works at the Post Office told me to use regular cardboard "CD" mailers and put a $1.00 stamp on it and drop it in the pick up box.  Nobody ever checks them like that!  But If you give it to a clerk for weight and cost anything may happen!!!  I've been doing this for 2 weeks now and seems to work fine! (Don't have to wait in line while people are getting their "Money Orders")!! - David

People getting 3 or more money orders at the post office really brings out the "Werewolf" in me!!!!!

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 10/11/2015 11:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

David, where do you buy CD mailers?  

I figure by the time I buy a CD mailer I may as well just pay the extra postage. :)

Robert J.

Subject: Where to Buy CD Mailers
Date Posted: 9/10/2016 1:23 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Windyastro asked: "David, where do you buy CD mailers?" 

I'm not David but an hour on Google today (9/10/16) reveals where NOT to buy. The following are places to avoid, because all of them want to charge a minimum of a dollar apiece for CD mailers of any kind: Office Depot, Target, Michael's. While CD mailers can be bought for fifty cents apiece at Walmart online, the reasonable price (even in these EpiPen days) would be no more than a dime apiece for the plain cardboard CD mailers. I think the best place to look is e-Bay, which at least has a little competition. Amazon is full of sharks. FWIW! Robert