Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: how to remove back insert

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Ann O.

Subject: how to remove back insert
Date Posted: 12/31/2014 2:08 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

New here--I can't figure out how to remove the back insert from the jewel case. Help please.

TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 12/31/2014 8:11 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You need to pop out the plastic digi-tray (holding disc) covering the art. The easiest way is to pull down one of the outside corners (if that makes sense).

Last Edited on: 1/1/15 1:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Keerayduh (Steve L.)

Date Posted: 12/31/2014 9:49 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Here's a youtube video that shows you how to replace a CD case.    After the 1:00 mark, it shows you how to remove the rear insert.   Hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf_Fst4xuRs

Yohoopoe (Gabriel L.)

Subject: how to remove back insert
Date Posted: 10/9/2016 2:40 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I haven't checked out the youtube video but that sounds like the easiest way to follow along. For the more adventurous, here it is in words:  

(First off, read these instructions all the way through a couple times and if it doesn't make sense, don't try it, just go watch a video for better luck

It's not rocket science, but jewel cases will break, so don't blame me if it doesn't work out, I warned you)

Okay! To pop out the tray, first identify the section of the case closest to the hinge. This section is about half an inch wide and flat, usually with vertical grooves. Choose one end of the grooved section and carefully loosen the hinged part using a fingernail - just enough to get it loose. Then, go to the other hinge and repeat. Now, the cover can be carefully, and evenly, slid off and set aside. The hinged section is easy to break. That's why I recommend removing it first. Now, looking at the tray, a fingernail will need to go in - straight down - just like your'e looking straight down at the CD tray laying flat on a table. But where to start with the fingernail is the real question. That is the most important part.

Okay, looking at the tray straight down, the hinged side was to the left. Notice that the flat, grooved section is to the left. You will NOT be able to get a fingernail straight down around the flat, grooved section. 

Choose one end of the flat, grooved section and just next to it, notice the tray steps down. Here, you will be able to push a fingernail straight down between the tray and bottom case. The tray should pull up very easily now, if not, use a little more force (pulling out with the fingernail) to separate the bottom case away from the tray before lifting the tray up.

If the tray doesn't pull up and rotate out easily, you may need to go to the other corner of the case. Picture "sliding" that fingernail all the way to other corner in order to get to the correct corner.

Finally, gently - rotate the tray counter-clockwise and up, in order to "spin" it out of the bottom case.

To reverse the process simply push the right side of tray straight down starting with each corner on the right side. Then do the left side. Re-insert the pegs in the holes for the hinges, just keep everything even.

Congratulations, if you've succeeded in following all these steps. You will be dismantling jewel cases just so you can piece together the nicer parts to suit your nicer CDs, and to have fun!

Last Edited on: 10/9/16 2:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 1