Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Postage Due, and it shouldn't be.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
kayote (Kayote B.)

Subject: Postage Due, and it shouldn't be.
Date Posted: 3/21/2012 10:12 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just got a rather..let's say terse rather than rude...PM from a member that a CD I shipped arrived with $1.10 postage due.

I'm rather boggled by this, as I take ALL my CDs to the post office and hand them to a clerk to have them weighed, checked to be valid to send non-parcel, and get printed postage on it.  I hate to send the other member money because I don't feel I did anything wrong (I realize they did even less, but I don't like the implication that I'm admitting to shipping it wrong when I didn't). 

How the PO get away with demanding extra postage later on when it was cleared by their own clerks?   I could see it if I put stamps on it in the blue box, but I didn't. I take it to the window and they approve it, then they get to change their mind?

I don't like rewarding the PO with extra money when someone on that end doesn't know their own regulations about letter vs parcel.   Which I've found is rather common; I've had to go through the regs with every new clerk, but where I usually ship them is someone who knows what she is doing and always has.  I've not had any other reports of postage due, so I think it's the receiver's PO that's messed up.  I don't like them overruling my local PO.

Is there anything I can do about this?  I feel like I'm getting gypped here, and I don't feel I did anything wrong.   I don't care to reward the PO for incompetence or admit to doing something I didn't.

brandy (Brandy W.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2012 4:07 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

This happened to me one time also. I took a cd to the PO and they weighed it and told me the price and  sent it on its way. Well the person who received it had postage due (which I think was under 20 cents) and they sent me a rude pm about it. I felt bad and did appologize to the receiver and explained that I did have it weighed. Although I can't really offer any advice, I do feel better knowing I am not the only one this has happened to.

Last Edited on: 3/22/12 4:08 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2012 10:59 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

This problem with the post office not knowing its own rules should not be news to anyone who trades CDs here at SwapaCD.  The receiver should have taken the CD to his local post office and had a discussion with the manager there.  Kayote, especially in the case you mentioned, where the USPS put its own printed postage label on the package, I would not send additional money to the receiver.

This postage problem is yet another reason we should send our CDs with better packaging and pay to ship at the parcel rate.

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2012 11:51 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I'll decline to regularly pay double because they don't know their own rules. I think I'll send their postmaster a grumpy letter about the skill set of his staff.
Melissa H.

Date Posted: 3/25/2012 9:57 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just got one of those notices yesterday, with postage due of $1.10

I sent the sender a very nice email, and offered to scan & email her a photo of the notice. I wasn't asking her for anything, just wanted her to know that it happened, in case she had dropped it in the box without weighing it.

I don't see why a person needs to be rude. :(

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 4/21/2012 8:48 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Can everybody contact the Team and ask them to ask the postal liaison to come on here and tell us wha tthe deal is?  Over at PBS there are actually members who work for USPS and are very knowledgeable, but I'm pretty sure the post office person affiliated with the swapa sites exists, and can give us some directipon????

I'm going to ask!!!!

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 4/22/2012 10:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I sent the person back their credit, and am really ticked off they didn't bother to respond to my question as to where their post office was.

I can dig up the mailing address, but then I have to track which PO it went to or hope I get the right person when I send a mail. I realize this wasn't the receiver's fault but the location of their PO was hardly a difficult question so I could try and fix it where the problem was.

Never mind terse, they're just a really rude member.

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 4/23/2012 2:31 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

kayote, boy you sure got the double whammy,  PO and rude receiver.

I save the downloaded PDFs when I print a mailing label, that might help you find the PO next time.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 4/23/2012 8:53 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Many people don't know where their post office is.  Even stranger, many postal workers don't know where the closest regional sorting facility is located.

Lately, there has been a lot of closing of facilities and consolidating.  We used to have a sorting facility in our mid-sized city.  It has been closed.  Now all mail that comes into our city, even if mailed locally, has to go through a sorting facility in the larger city one hour north of here.