Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Irving Berlin: 100 Years
Genres: Blues, Jazz, Special Interest, Pop, Rock, Classic Rock, Broadway & Vocalists
Listen to Samples
Similarly Requested CDs
Just As I Remembered It -- But Better!
Sunnyside | Astoria, NY United States | 11/15/2002
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Well, it's just as I remembered it from my old cassette version, but now I don't need to wind the tape or flip it over! Otherwise, it's the same as the tape: great Berlin songs, brought to life by some of the most famous voices...Fred Astaire does his best version of "Cheek to Cheek", Dinah Shore for me *defines* the number "Doin' What Comes Naturally", and I much prefer Barbara Streisand's rendition of "What'll I Do"...this isn't some definitive collection, but it's a rock-solid introduction to one of America's most beloved classic composers!"
Some of his best by not always the best performers
Shalom Freedman | Jerusalem,Israel | 06/05/2006
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Irving Berlin, the dean of American song- writers wrote over one- thousand published songs in his life. Yet as with everything most of these are not remembered today, and Berlin is known today for a few dozen major songs. Among those included here are 'Cheek to Cheek' 'Easter Parade' ' White Christmas' 'Alexander's Ragtime Band'.'I've Got my Love to keep my warm' 'Always' 'What'll I do'.
However a number of his greatest songs are not included, and among them perhaps the most famous one of all, the song many have thought should be the national anthem, "God Bless America'
The singers and the arrangements here are not in every case the best, but Fred Astaire in 'Cheek to Cheek' is unbeatable.
The songs included are:
Let Me Sing And I'm Happy - Ben Selvin & His Orchestra 2. Puttin' On The Ritz - Jan Garber & His Greater Columbia Recording Orch.
3. Say It Isn't So - Connie Boswell
4. I Love A Piano - Arthur Schutt
5. Face The Music Medley - Victor Young And The Brunswick Orchestra W/Bing C.
6. Mandy - Eddie Cantor
7. Easter Parade - Gene Austin 8. Harlem On My Mind - Ethel Waters
9. Alexander's Ragtime Band - Boswell Sisters With The Dorsey Brothers Orchestra 10. Cheek To Cheek - Fred Astaire Listen Listen Listen
11. Let Yourself Go - Bunny Berigan And His Orchestra 12. Remember - Red Norvo And His Orchestra Listen Listen Listen
13. This Year's Kisses - Teddy Wilson And His Orchestra W/ Billie Holiday
14. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm - Red Norvo And His Orchestra W/ Mildred Bailey
15. How Deep Is The Ocean - Benny Goodmman And His Orchestra W/Peggy Lee Listen Listen Listen
16. Doin' What Comes Naturally - Dinah Shore 17. Always - Tony Bennett Listen Listen Listen
18. You're Just In Love - Rosemary Clooney And Guy Mitchell Listen Listen Listen
19. White Christmas - Johnny Mathis
20. What'll I Do -"