Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
Hard Candy (Mlps)
Genres: Pop, Rock
Japanese digitally remastered limited edition issue of the album classic in a deluxe, miniaturized LP sleeve replica of the original vinyl album artwork of the second album from the Souther California singer/songwriter. H... more »
Listen to Samples
Japanese digitally remastered limited edition issue of the album classic in a deluxe, miniaturized LP sleeve replica of the original vinyl album artwork of the second album from the Souther California singer/songwriter. He was responsible for "On And On" by Dave Mason & Cass Elliot and "What'ca Gonna Do For Me". The album was produced by the MG's Steve Cropper and features guest appearances from The Tower of Power, Tom Scott, Jim Horn, Glenn Frey & Don Henley, Linda Ronstadt and J.D. Souther.
grooverider | Toluca Lake LA | 07/17/2006
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I first purchased this album in 1976 at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. because I was a big fan of Moshe Brahka's photography, thinking I could return it if I didn't like it,not knowing who Ned Doheny was. My goodness, what a big mistake that would have been. Getting somewhat lost in the shadow of Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees" masterpiece, this work of art is quite phenomenal. Working with the Tower of Power horn section, Glen Frey, Don Henley, Linda Rondstat, Tom Scott, Hamish Stuart, the great Rosemary Butler and all held together by producer Steve Cropper of Booker T. & the MG's, this is quite a collection of songs. Definitely one for the proverbial desert island."
A truly great album
Friendlycard | Norfolk, UK | 04/04/2008
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Ned Doheny's music really defies categorisation - West Coast, but very funky; sometimes disco-flavoured; with jazz undertones; and his voice is superb. This album exudes sheer class.
'Hard Candy' is his second album, originally released as an LP in 1977 but latterly released twice on CD in Japan, first as a conventional CD and latterly as a card-sleeved LP replica CD. His subsequent albums - including the outstanding Prone and the excellent Life After Romance (+5 Bonus Tracks)- were also released in Japan.
The version of 'Hard Candy' here is the 2005 vinyl-replica, limited-edition CD version, a beautifully remastered take on an album that already scored highly for production quality. A truly marvellous album and a little-known gem.
For those interested in Ned Doheny, here's a brief discography:
1. "Ned Doheny": This outstanding debut album was released by Elektra/Asylum in 1973. It was reportedly later reissued on CD, but I've never tracked down a copy. All tracks can be purchased as downloads.
2. "Hard Candy": a superlative album first released by CBS in 1976, and subsequently released twice on CD, the latter being a beautifully remastered vinyl replica version.
3. "Prone": even better than "Hard Candy", this album was released by Sony in 1979, and has twice appeared on CD.
4. "Life After Romance": a nice album released in 1988. It includes five bonus tracks - a TV mix version of "Whatcha Gonna Do For Me?", and four acoustic versions of earlier tracks.
5. "Love Like Ours": released by Polystar in 1991.
6. "Postcards from Hollywood": a fairly short (30 minutes) album containing seven solo acoustic tracks, released in 1991.
7. "Between Two Worlds": a very mellow album released by Polystar in 1993.
8. "Best Collection": an anthology released in Japan and the Philippines in 1995.