Subject: I have found a CD that I think you would enjoy
You Do Your Thing
Genres: Country, Pop, Rock, Classic Rock, Metal
There's always been a consistency of vision in the work of Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry. Their barroom roots virtually ignore trends. The music is of the moment, yet it hearkens to the best of Hank Jr. (who guests on ... more »
Listen to Samples
There's always been a consistency of vision in the work of Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry. Their barroom roots virtually ignore trends. The music is of the moment, yet it hearkens to the best of Hank Jr. (who guests on "I Ain't Got It All That Bad"), Jennings, Haggard, and Jones. The lack of pretense, a constant in their past work, is still in evidence here. "Gone" is a tough chronicle of final, irreversible breakup, similarly explored on "All I Know About Mexico," and each reflects pain with nary a whit of syrupy sentiment. Even when waxing romantic, as they do on "If You Ever Stop Loving Me" and the reflective domestic saga "She Loved Me," a diamond-hard edge remains. "I Got Drunk" explores a timeless theme with a guileless lack of remorse. Not even the air of sweet contentment on "It's All Good" emits the wussy faux-sensitivity that too many singers use as a glib device. Given the consistency and the solid material, only one mystery remains: why did they divide the songs between four producers? --Rich Kienzle
Similarly Requested CDs
Nothing Less Than Awesome
Mike | College Park, Maryland | 06/09/2004
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I have just started to get into country music but I must say this is my favorite album so far. Not a weak song on this cd at all.1. Something To Be Proud Of - 3/5: good but not great
2. You Do Your Thing - 4/5: Great song, weak lyrics
3. If You Ever Stop Loving Me- 5/5: Excellent, the reason I bought the cd
4. If It's the Last Thing I Do- 5/5: Rock n roll country style. Another excellent song, very catchy. If its made a single it will do great.
5. She Loved Me - 4/5: Good song, slow though
6. Gone - 5/5: Great strong song
7. All I Know About Mexico - 5/5: Good quality, definitely one of my favorites
8. I Got Drunk - 5/5: Kinda bluesy, funny, and true too for all the guys out there with a woman
9. Its All Good - 5/5: Slower, great song
10. I Ain't Got It All That Bad - 5/5: Beautiful song
11. Talking To My Angel - Slow, acoustic song,another very beautiful and touching song
12. I Never Thought I'd Live This Long - 5/5: Definitely my first or second favorite song on the entire cd. Slow and powerful.In short, if you love country, you would love this cd. If you love rock you probably would like this cd too. I think this cd is pretty much for everyone."
They do their thing: great country music!
DanD | 05/19/2004
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Montgomery Gentry's fourth album finds them still rockin and rollin country style, but with a bit more of a sentimental edge...and it's quite possibly their best yet.Yeah, there's still overpowering masculinity (not a bad thing). "Gone" is a hard-edged tribute to a love lost, while the southern-rock flavored title track is a "leave me alone" anthem. Yet, sensitivity abounds. "She Loved Me" and "Something to Be Proud Of" are both moving and reminiscent. Even the first single, "If You Ever Stop Loving Me"--which tells of a rough-and-tumble outlaw--shows that behind every man is a supportive woman."You Do Your Thing" is a superb CD from this duo. Eddie and Troy know what their fans like, and they deliver...and yet, the music they make is GOOD. They're both incredible singers, even though they haven't yet scored a #1. This CD might rememdy that, because it's just what radio's been needing: commercially-successful outlaw music. You go on and do your thing, and purchase this album; there'll be no regrets about it, I promise."
Montgomery Gentry ROCKS!!
Nathan Smith | Hallsville, MO | 09/24/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I wasn't even planning on buying this CD. I just happened to see it at Target one time for $10, so I bought it. My favorite songs are "Gone", "If You Ever Stop Loving Me", "If It's the Last Thing I Do", and "She Loved Me". "If It's the Last Thing I Do" sounds quite a bit like the Brooks & Dunn version, but I think MG's is better :)
The only song I have a gripe about is "I Got Drunk". It's really stupid to me, but that's just my opinion. Good tune, bad lyrics.
MG really put their heart and feeling in this CD, and it shows. They made some GREAT songs on this one.
All in all, You Do Your Thing is an AWESOME Cd. It's got some real gems, as well as the great songs you hear on the radio like "Gone". It's a MUST HAVE for any country collection!"